Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Gratitude is more than words...

I had the most wonderful weekend for 32 orphaned girls in Mtwapa, Kenya.

My birthday party for charity on Saturday evening at my friend Alex's house was a fantastic success.  It was a fun, happy and inspirational event attended by a diverse crowd of people who all care about things bigger than themselves.  They now, too, care about what is happening in Kenya.

I was delighted with the turnout, the money raised, and the awareness generated for my favorite charity, One Home Many Hopes, but these are just words and they cannot begin to express how I feel about what was and always will be a lovely moment in time.

Photo courtesy of Graham Marley, www.grahamwinslowphoto.com
My heart has expanded.
My hope has been affirmed.
My dreams have taken root.
My belief in humanity has strengthened.

And I've seen once again that something bigger than us 
brings us together in love.

As Thomas Keown, OHMH's founder, said to me as we slowly made our way to the door at the end of the evening, "the money raised is only a part of what is to come from this evening."  The seeds planted and the energy put into motion will surely bring us so much more - an immeasurable amount more.  This is the kind of hope that has led so many people to build OHMH into what it is today.  It is also exactly what I know and believe to be true and magical about the human spirit.  We dropped a pebble in the pond on Saturday night.  Now it's time to watch the fantastic journey of the ripples created by that pebble.

Just as there are not tools to measure the impact of my birthday fundraiser, there are not words for me to express my gratitude to all who were involved, all who gave, and all who will continue to give.

So for making my wish come true, I'll simply say
Thank you.



3 comments:

  1. I am so honored to have been part of this event and even more proud to know that my daughter, Amy, brought so many people together for the sole purpose to help these beautiful children in Kenya. Love you so much, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. The party was magical. What wonderful people Alex and her husband are for opening their home to so many strangers. I can't wait to meet those 32 kids next month. Thank you for inviting us to share your birthday celebration with you. We hope to get to know you better in the future as we continue giving birth to "many hopes."

    ReplyDelete